Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PAW 2.49 CC RC MODEL AIRPLANE DIESEL ENGINE RUNS ON HOME MADE FUEL

The PAW 2.49 CC Diesel(19 size) has been the most reliable and easy starting engines in my collection. I was so impressed with it that I ordered two more to power a scratch built JU 52 tri-motor (another unrealized dream of mine). The first big drawback with diesels is a source of fuel. Living here, in North America we have almost no access to commercial Model Diesel Fuel for running our model Airplane Engines, so ......What can we do???? I found that common, easily obtainable items like; scented lamp oil, castor oil and cold weather Quick Start (ether), when combined in approximate proportions (60% 20% 20% respectively), will make a acceptable, alternate source for model diesel fuel. I have since found, that these three ingredients will work very well in combinations up to equal parts, of 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3. You can see one of my engines running on the 60%, 20%, 20% mixture by clicking on the this object.  The follow link  gives ignition temperatures for several  fuels and chemicals and can be used as a guide for selecting  ingredients  for your home made fuel
Fuel Oil No.1 210 410
Number one fuel oil with an ignition temperature of 210 degrees C, looks like it would be a good candidate for replacing the lamp oil in my mixture. It may even work without any ether. I have read elsewhere that another name for fuel oil number 1 is kerosene. I recently bought a can and I plan to experiment with it soon.  

3 comments:

  1. 2.49 is 15 size, not 19.

    Best regards,
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a PAW 3.5cc. Looked exactly the same. ( about 1975 or 76 )
    Bloody fast engine which I put into a Warloard Wing Combat control line. Awesome. Wish I still had it...
    I don't have any pics of it sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diesel fuel users have long sought to remediate the problematic issues that come along with using diesel-powered vehicles. Lubricity, cetane rating, engine and injector deposits and maximizing fuel mileage are all issues that consumers seek to solve.

    ReplyDelete